Thursday, August 16, 2007

Failed, but still loved

What a morning!!!

Let me start at the beginning. Late last evening Jim heard some truck noises and was at the window for a long period of time. I was too sleepy to care. My night was very restful. I now see that it was God giving me the rest time because He knew exactly how I would react in the morning.

Jim left early for work because tonight we had plans to entertain a number of college students, including our adoptive-a student-daughter!! I received a phone call from our neighbor saying, "Don't flush your toilets. There is problem with the system somewhere on our street or near our cul-de-sac!!!!!" Of course at that precise moment I HAD to go to the bathroom.

My night of calmness went right out the window. I called my husband twice (that's our code for return the call immediately). I needed him to fix it....looking back on it, what could he do. I told him that there were four state trucks outside our home and they were thinking the actual problem could be between our house and our dear friends and neighbors house!!!!!! I didn't say it, but I wanted Jim to come home.

I have the privilege to teach and mentor to ladies from time to time and I share that God is in control of all aspects of our lives....we just need to let Him take the wheel so to speak. I found out again this morning, that I still have a major failing with my control of unexpected situations and letting go and letting God. Something as small (in the big picture) as a sewage problem, wrecking havoc with my personal body as well as my emotional body. You could say I almost was in a panic. I am ashamed to even share how I felt about this whole situation.

My ability for being organized automatically set in and I stopped the large oven roaster filled with chili for the taco salad/haystack dinner for tonight and I called our adoptive student to have her tell the others that our evening of fun, food and fellowship had to be cancelled. This was a good move. I then could not shake the fact that I was not able to do things that we take for granted like the use of the restroom whenever we need to or for that matter want to. I failed to see that even in this situation, God was in control.

It was a few hours later that I was told by one of the state workers that we do not have a blockage problem and that things were ready to "flow" again. At that point I did thank God for the result, but as I was thanking Him, I mentioned, that I know you won't give me more than I can handle. Though this situation is minimal compared to many struggles that are encountered in day-to-day lives, I realized by saying my thanksgiving prayer to God that He IS in control, even with clogged or thought to be clogged septic lines.

The scripture that came to mind to me was Paul's statement, about being content in any circumstance. Obviously, I never thought about "in any circumstance" as a flushing problems, but now I too am aware of being content in that state too.

My heart is cleansed because I know that God's grace covered my lack of faith in Him taking control of the situation. He gives us individuals here on earth to work His plan and today was one of those times. He even enabled the compassion of my neighbors as we were in this together. In the end, I shared some of the chili with this family as well as some of the homemade cookies that I had prepared for our get together with the college students. I also froze some of the chili and the cookies and this too is now a blessing for when my schedule is full and I have an opportunity to serve some others. It's now in my freezer ready and waiting to "serve".

Another positive outcome to this is that our daughter and her boyfriend, who she would like us to get to know better and we are enjoying getting to know him better are still coming this evening for a now, quiet family dinner of four.

Again, a blessing in the day-to-day living of our lives. Keep seeing your daily blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home