Thursday, March 13, 2008

Giving some time

I made a commitment several months ago to volunteer at a local shelter that Jim and I have supported somewhat financially for awhile. I go to the Sunday breakfast mission http://www.sundaybreakfastmission.org/ once a week for several hours. I work wherever there is a need from preparing food to administration needs to loading and unloading donations and I also get to talk with some of the men that are residents at the mission. What stories they have to share and what courage they have to do better. It is such a great experience to serve in this setting. I began my volunteering to "do good to others" when in fact my volunteering has given SO much back to me. May your week be filled with unexpected goodness to those around you as well as to yourself. God IS good all the time. All the time God IS good.

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.' Matthew 25:37-40(The Message)

2 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

One of the things I wish I had time to do is volunteer. I love how we feel we are going to give back, and as you said we get more in return. God, in his master plan does make things GOOD all the time, and all the time he makes things good. I can tell our Steve has been with you. Love you, A

 
At March 14, 2008 at 8:31 AM , Blogger Tina and Jim said...

Giving: Another great blessing that God shares with us while here on earth. It was great when Steve began his talk last week with God is good...Jim has a close friend that worshipped at Newark who begins with God is good...every time I've seen him go in front of the congregation. It is so simple yet so profound. That saying puts EVERYTHING in proper order.

Love ya, T

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home